Tuesday 19 June 2012

Terra Nova

Holy crappers! There are a lot of hills in Newfoundland!! :) Sooooo, because I'm a lazy bum and was totally unprepared for this type of cycling (though I'm not really sure if I ever could have prepared myself for these hills, hahaha) I'm not doing as many kilometers in a day as I'd like, BUT I somehow managed to make it to Newman Sound campgrounds today :D I'll be staying here for the next couple of nights to do some hiking which I'm looking forward to :) I'm telling you though there was the Grandmother of all hills in this park! I started singing "this is the road that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends" I came up with some pretty good lyrics to it too, hehehe. Non-stop uphill battle, I swear it's half the length of the entire park section. In any case, I've been informed that this is one of the worst sections which makes me feel better, though apparently the road between Deer Lake and Gros Morne Park is mighty challenging to say the least. Good thing I'm stubborn :p hahaha.
The past couple of days have been beautiful!! Perfect for cycling, thank goodness. I have to say I'm glad I'm cycling here instead of back home since apparently the humidity is already awful there :) one of the things winning me over here is the lack of humidity. Oops, side tracked...so the cycling, it's been absolutely fantastic, I'm dead tired by the end of the day but the scenery I've seen has been breathtaking. My first day I traveled along the Conception Bay Highway which was beautiful and then eventually got onto the TCH. For the most part there have been great views among this highway as well but once I got into Terra Nova there were a lot more dull sections. That's ok though, just cycling is great. I can't even begin to explain how free it feels to be cycling, it's wonderful! (Though I've realized I can do without the panniers :)  ) And I'm really surprised, I'm the type of person who feeds off other people's energies and loves being sociable but I'm finding I really enjoy the alone time I get during these rides. Though I do find I'm talking to myself a lot more than usual, hahaha but what can I say? I'm good company, :p lol.
I've had a bit of an incident (not accident...just clarifying) every day so far but nothing to dampen my spirits. Things happen and we deal :) and thank goodness it was nothing dangerous!
Last night I got spoiled beyond belief thanks to Ruby and Len! They were so kind to take me in for the night instead of me camping out by the highway. They introduced me to Newfoundland music - which I find I quite enjoy :) - fed me, let me use their shower and gave me a bed to sleep in! Thanks again Ruby and Len!!!!
Alright, I'm writing all this on my phone so I'm heading off to sleep, I haven't been checking autocorrect so hopefully this remained pg friendly :) Thanks for the comments guys! I wish I knew how to respond to each individually...maybe I can figure it out when I have a real compy :)
Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. Hello lovely!

    Love the positivity! You knew there would be both literal and figurative hills :) Can't believe you're writing such long posts on your phone. You rock! I'm glad you're not having this humidity! It was brutal here today, and then a freak thunderstorm blew in and I was in the greenhouse expecting that when it was over I'd be in Oz :)
    Edwin and the ladies say hi! (Or in the case of the goats, "H-h-hiiiiiii dina!") Looking forward to the next post.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehehehe, thanks Heidi!! Love you!! And tell them all I say hi back! :D

      Delete
  2. Looks like one heck of an adventure so far D, and it's just the beginning! Can't wait to read more and then hear even more of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I will not stop talking your ear off when I see you! Less than three weeks until party time!! Woot! :D

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to every detail! :)

      Delete