Friday 22 June 2012

Deer Lake

I've arrived in Deer Lake, only a days ride from Gros Morne Park!! No, I did not cycle at top speed, I decided to take the bus here from Terra Nova because it seemed a bit ridiculous to cycle the same section twice. Unfortunately this forced me to pay for a motel room because by the time the bus arrived in Deer Lake and I finished my grocery shopping it was too late for me to start biking towards the park, and I had no idea if there would be any place to set up camp along the way so the safest bet was to stay in town. I was kind of upset about this but I guess sometimes I have to bite the bullet, on the bright side I get a comfy bed indoors :)

My stay in Terra Nova was wonderful! The hike up to Mount Stamford was beautiful and I got to see a moose run away from me! :) The view at the top of the mountain was fantastic but unfortunately the picture doesn't do it justice. I ended up hiking over 25 kms, such a relaxing experience :)




I left the park early this morning because I wanted to get to where the bus stops with time to spare, so I cycled out around 7:30 which is earlier than I usually start. As I was leaving th park I heard a branch crack and I looked to my right to see what is was and there were TWO black bears chowing down on some trees. I didn't stop to take a picture but it was pretty cool :D So I've seen a moose and two bears now all that's left is an eagle and an iceberg. Three weeks left Newfoundland, you can do it!

The bus ride was uneventful but at least I got to see the road I'll be riding back on. Now off to sleep since I apparently have the worst hill to tackle tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job so far! You've been lucky with the weather, someone must owe you a favor somewhere. Have you been logging your route and travel info each day? I'd love to see them if so.

    Cheers, and keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin! Thanks for the encouragement! :D Yes, I've been keeping track of my route. When I'm done Newfoundland I'll figure out a way to post it so you can see what I did :) It's been changing all the time but I think I have it pretty set now! So exciting!

      Delete
  2. Hello hello!
    A moose and two black bears. Oh my.
    Be careful!
    xoxo, Heidi

    ReplyDelete