Tuesday 26 June 2012

Gros Morne Park

Yes, I am still alive :) I don't have reception at my campsite here in Gros Morne Park so I've been unable to contact people in any way but I'm doing wonderfully so please do not worry :)

I made it to Gros Morne on Saturday without any problems. The ride in was gorgeous once I hit the park entrance, there was even a section where I got a beautiful look at the East Arm fjord and the Tickle which was full of fog. Just stunning! The Tickle, by the way, is the small opening connecting the two fjords ( I thought that was pretty funny, hee hee). The ride in wasn't so bad in terms of hills - I think nothing will ever be able to compare to Terra Nova - however, the headwinds coming up this way were the strongest I have had to deal with yet. Good Lord, it was difficult! Good thing the scenery makes up for it :)

The past few days in Gros Morne have been one of the best experiences I could ask for. The views here are unforgettable and so majestic I am envious of the people who live here and get to experience this natural beauty every day. I'm half tempted to move here myself :) take adventure tourism  in Corner Brook and just make a living that way...ah the possibilities ;) back on track: I've had to bike everywhere because nothing is too close to each other so I'm experiencing the hills on a daily basis, but I guess that's good, it keeps me in shape for when I'm back on the road East again. I'm camping at Berry Hill Campgrounds which is in the middle of the woods which is kind of neat, though it's a bit of a trek to get to off the main road. When I arrived I just biked around the area for a bit after stopping of at the camp so it was a heavenly "no gear" ride :) My first full day I hiked around the three trails in the campground itself which was quite enjoyable. I got to see a beaver and a hare! That was pretty great! It made me laugh to watch the beaver swimming around because every time it went underwater it thwacked its tail and dove, not the most graceful looking thing but I loved it! :) One of the trails was to Bakers Brook Falls and that was just breathtaking! I had such a hard time leaving that spot. Watching the water and listening to the rumble of the falls was so fantastic I felt like I could stay there forever. Along the way I got to see a mother hen...I think a partridge...walking along the trail with her five chicks, it was so adorable! I tried to take a photo but they're all blurry because the little things wouldn't stop moving, hahahaha. After the trails I went to the Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse and walked the trails around there as well and then biked around Rocky Harbour (the closest town to the camp). It was a very enjoyable day. Yesterday I woke up and it was raining but it ended up turning into a decent day. The rain stopped by the time I got to Norris Point but the winds didn't. You know it's rough when you're having to still cycle DOWN an incredibly steep hill...oh good golly, that was a rough ride. The marine station in Norris Point is amazing! I took a tour and got to hold some really neat sea creatures. The tour was very interesting and the guide was very knowledgeable. What was extra neat is that I ran into family friends there! That was completely unexpected and a lovely surprise. So after chatting with them for a bit I waited around to catch the shuttle to Woody Point and once I arrived ended up hanging out with a lovely lady from Toronto, Sherry :) Sherry and I walked up to the Discovery Centre, which is another neat place, very informative and very interesting, and took the hike behind it up the mountain. Holy crow! The top of that trail has to be one of the most beautiful lookout spots on the planet! We got to see Gros Morne Mountain and the fjords on one side and the Tablelands on the other. Another breathtaking view! I anticipate I'll be using that adjective a lot :p And so that leads me to today. On my bike ride back to Norris Point this morning I saw a coyote cross the road and then as I was walking to Gros Morne Adventures for my kayak tour I saw a minke whale in the water! What was even better was that when the group of us were out on the water in our kayaks we got an even closer view of the whale because it swam right by us!!! Amazing!!! :D We also got to see a couple of jellyfish, starfish, Connor fish, and two bald eagles!!! My list of must sees is seriously getting checked off!! It's fantastic!! I really enjoyed the kayak tour, it was a lot of fun! After the tour I took the shuttle again to Woody Point and biked up to the Tablelands where I walked along the trail there. It's incredible these formations! I wish I could have walked right up to the top but you need a guide for that and I didn't have one :( Oh well, I've already decided I have to come back, so I'll make sure to do that next time :)

So that's it, now I'm at the Woody Point library just waiting for the shuttle back to Norris Point and then I'll bike back to camp. Hopefully it won't rain like they are saying it will tomorrow and I can do a couple more hikes but if it does I'll just hang out around Rocky Harbour.

Well, this was an extra long entry, now to do is comment on the comments people have left :) I'm so productive, lol. :p

1 comment:

  1. Another breathtaking entry ;)
    I'm very much enjoying these entries. My only complaint is the dearth of pictures. I understand that it's probably difficult to upload those due to a limited bandwidth situation so I'm available for hire (no charge, just looking for the exposure) to take pictures from here and upload them to your blog. I'll do my best to convey with my pictures the various situations and locations you find yourself in. Hope to hear your answer soon, in the meantime keep the entries coming! Oh and don't pet the beavers, never pet the beavers!

    ReplyDelete