Sunday 8 July 2012

Just about to leave the TCH

Oh my goodness!!! I am TWO days ahead of schedule!!! :) I made it to Deer Lake safe and sound and was able to start riding eastward by 3/3:30 local time. I thought being out of shape by not doing anything for a week would mean I would only be able to get about 45 km in, but low and behold it turned out I was able to get about 70-80 km (I think...in any case it was further than I thought I would get). When I headed out from the airport I thought "well, at least I'm heading west now so if there is a wind I'll be riding with a tailwind" HA! Of course that wouldn't be the case, I ended up having a headwind the entire time. Ugh! Whoever told me west to east is better clearly doesn't have my string of luck with wind :p it was still a great ride though because it was flatter than I've seen in Newfoundland.

Yesterday was even better riding wise! Although I still had a headwind it wasn't the entire time and the lay of the land remained mostly flat (by the way, when I say flat I just mean there aren't the usual hills I've been seeing in this province. What I used to think were hills are now just blips). It poured down rain and I got soaked but it was actually a good thing because this was the first time since I can remember that I was bored and the rain was a good distraction! The scenery was very non-descript, I couldn't take it at one point that I got off my bike so I could walk while listening to my iPod, just to break up the monotony of it all. And this was during a flat section!! BUT what made the day fantastic was that somehow I ended up cycling over 130 km! I made it to Bishop's Falls in a day and a half from Deer Lake and I'm so excited about it!!! :D I was so pleased I even treated myself to a campsite. I stayed last night at the Brookdale Country Inn RV and Campgrounds and for $20 I got a site with use of a pool, laundry, showers and flush toilets :) it's nothing too fancy but quite nice and definitely worth the money. An added bonus is that it's close enough to the highway that I didn't have to bike far to get to it! Awesome!

And now I'm just at the visitor centre a kilometre from my exit to Lewisporte, and so far it has been fabulous because I've been cycling with a ....wait for it.... A TAILWIND!!! I know, I can't believe it either, but now that I'm dealing with hills again it's been ever so helpful :) and as an added bonus it has turned into a lovely day instead of the foretold rain. Cross my fingers it stays like this.

So that has been the journey so far since I restarted my adventure. Let's hope I get to see an iceberg while I'm on my way to Gambo!

No comments:

Post a Comment